I mentor entrepreneurs for several organisations and on a private basis. Mentoring is a process where entrepreneurs come to me for advice. It’s very much led by the entrepreneur and normally quite problem specific.
I mentor entrepreneurs from all over the world and especially Malaysia, Singapore, the UK and the US.
If I haven’t worked with the startup before I like to see their business model canvas and pitch deck to give me some background. We discuss the problem and then I ask lots and lots of questions to understand what the entrepreneur does and does not know about the problem and to help identify possible hypotheses.
Questioning normally takes 20-30 minutes or so. Then depending on the entrepreneur then moves into a joint brainstorming session or where I lay out a number of potential approaches. In this case the entrepreneur has his revenge by asking lots of questions in turn.
Each session is about an hour and conducted by phone, video or face to face.
Mentoring for Entrepreneurs
The value of mentoring for the entrepreneur is huge:
- In a lot of cases they are able to come to a clear decision about the best path forward as a result of our conversations.
- Major business problems are resolved or they have a clear implementable strategy to resolve them
- They have confidence that their decision is robust having talked it through in detail with a mentor who has no need to be a yes man.
- Entrepreneurs build a solid foundation of systems and processes that propel growth
In numbers it is very powerful
- Mentored businesses grow at 5X the rate of non-mentored startups
- Startups with a mentor fail significantly less
- Mentored entrepreneurs employee more people
- With mentoring more entrepreneurs start a business rather than just dreaming about it
You can see the numbers and original research here
I also mentor individual entrepreneurs on an adhoc basis. If you are interested please send me an email.
Startups I’ve Mentored
A totally non-exhaustive list
Startup Mentoring in Malaysia
As I live in Malaysia it is far easier for me to mentor startups face to face, especially in the Klang Valley. I typically work with entrepreneurs who have some revenue and are looking for a long term relationship that helps them to significantly boost their business. Most of my mentees see dramatic results in 2-3 months
If you are a Malaysian entrepreneur and are looking for long term face to face mentoring so that you can grow rapidly do reach out and we can have a call to see if we are a fit.